Monday, April 4, 2011

Jimmy gives us the World

The most interesting day so far started like the past days. Everyone's trying to wake up as class starts and Jimmy begins class. Today everyone refused to speak about their weekends when asked. Still half asleep remember! 
Jimmy's response was to explain to us that despite us thinking everyday is essentially the same at the core they're all unique and different experiences, and its true since we do not do the exact same thing everyday. This talk led to him explaining that we need to take all of our life experiences and apply them to our work because we all have a unique perspective. After our morning talk it was time to deal with our comics that were our homework over the weekend.
Our task was to arrange the comics in order from best to worse and we had ten minutes. Jimmy walks out and we have to get to it. Having taken way too long according to Jimmy in our last class exercise we had time as a priority, the most outspoken people became the leaders and everyone agreed on a point system to determine the ones we believed to be the best. We get to pick three we like, the ones that got the most votes when to the left where all the top voted ones went and then were ranked according to the numbers of votes, the rest were mostly ties of ones and zeros and with votes and raises of hands we determined their rank in the lower half. We finished and sat down with two minutes to spare.
I was never happy with my drawing ability and certainly not with my comic, I felt had I tried a little more it would look better, so I did not look forward to it being judged and ranked, but I was surprised and sorta taken back when it was first placed 5th and then moved to 6th.
 I was flattered it was in the top ten to begin with, but that's not important. What is is what Jimmy mentioned when he came back. He stepped back in with a few minutes to spare and said we could have done it in 10. We had asked for more since we believed we couldn't do it in 15. Then he asked if everyone was happy with it. I didn't expect any hands to go up but five did. Those five were asked to go up and try to arrange them in their view of best to worst. At that point I realized they would never be truly content with their rank. Everyone had a different view and different criteria on which they were judging them from, this is something Jimmy pointed out and said was our flaw. 
I found all the different ways incredibly interesting. Some had pictures and no words, some were only words, few had color, some were inked. The different reasons why everyone decided to go to college were endless. Jimmy was completely right, we all had different and unique experiences about everything. You just have to slow down enough to think about it. 
For the rest of the class we had the people who attended the Seth Johnson seminar go up and speak about it. It sees everyone but Mark thought it was a great experience, and thoroughly enjoyed it. They taught us the six points he mentioned he worked by:
  1. Tell your client what they need
  2. Make your own work 
  3. Do a lot with a little
  4. Shut up and listen
  5. Its your obligation to make things better
  6. Be curious and never satisfied
I thought this was very interesting, but I had to work and to be honest I need the money. I'm grateful to these people for sharing the information they felt was important so that we didn't completely miss out on things. 
I really enjoyed the class today because we learned from our past experience with the comic exercise, and worked well together even if we had some disagreement. It was a shame we didn't get to watch the film I was looking forward to that.Until next class then.






















5 comments:

  1. Well, aside from the rank, did you like how we came up with the order from Best to Worst? I mean we could of easily discussed based on the idea of color? Design? Story? So many different ways to decide the rank but we ended up choosing vote and by popularity and how it should be ranked that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was the best. Clearly we could have used other things to base it on but it would have taken too long, and we all just have to many different views. So an over all vote just on which was our favorite I think was the best way. So to simply answer your question, yes I did like the way it was chosen. =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your post about what we did in class really helped me understand what I missed yesterday. I wish I could have been there to experience the ranking of the comics but just from what you said I understand the point that Jimmy was trying to make with letting the class rank everyone's work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Margarita! Congrats on your comic making the top 10. Great job. I agree about the comics, all different and unique, not one that I seemed like mine. I wonder how it varies then with the whole school... Haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Guady, that's great, I'm glad it helps, I realize now that I didn't mention why I called it that specific title, Jimmy said he felt old when some guy told him he was really "feeling himself" at some point and he didn't' know what it meant, so he said he would stop trying to be "cool" and would give us the world. I found it funny cause I my self had nooo idea what they would mean by feel.
    @Ze thank you, I know its totally silly to be flattered over that >_< I didn't think it was good at all, but you're right, I really was surprised to see so much variety I really wanted a closer look at each.

    ReplyDelete