Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Design Process is a Relationship - Reading #2

Our second reading assignment consisted of the Introduction, perspective and exercises. 
The introduction was the the most difficult for me to get to, I'm unsure as to why but  I felt it was something that was being repeated again from the preface. While I understand that its common for this in all books, I just had felt it had summarized the stages well and condensed enough before, but I guess its for the best since this way we will get used to the steps and know them well going further into the book.

What I enjoyed most on the Introduction was his explanation of a Designer's idea. A while back we had a discussion as to what was an idea and I had trouble putting it into words. He begins, "...an idea exist only as a possibility in a designer's imagination, it can be anything at all. As soon as designer makes a decision for the design the idea has been isolated from an infinite number of other possible ideas."  This helped me to understand and put into words what an idea was, and how as we go through the process described in the book we turn it from an idea into a design.
I also enjoyed reading the section in which he clarifies that designs isn't simply something on the surface, it goes down to the products functions. This along with being responsible "green" designers gave me a good feeling that the book covered many more aspects than I first thought. To be honest I had never stopped to think about how my career could affect current environmental issues, he does a very good job reminding us and asking us to take this into mind as we continue on. 

I found "Perspective" a very interesting and easy piece to read. The author tells us about his life and his work and how it has come to where he is at now and how it lead him to write the book, something he mentioned the preface. I can only hope and work to the best of my abilities to achieve the freedom he felt as a freelance designer. Like he mentions, its also nerve racking to think about those times when you will not have work, the uncertainty. He was fortunate to have one job after the other.
In the exercises section, it teaches us to better understand the process by reversing it. Take the end product and ask your self questions pertaining to the original inspiration. I found this interesting, but difficult, it suggest we keep a journal with this in it, and to see as we proceed if we can answer those questions as we learn. 
I look forward to doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment