Saturday, April 9, 2011

An Act of Creation- Reading #3 Inspiration


DaiDai, was and is a costant inspiration to me in different works.
This weekend's homework was stage 1, inspiration. Before beginning the reading I must admit I though it somewhat amusing that someone would try to write about being inspired, and while I'm not saying it's not possible, it is something that to me is like a dream, you can't ever really fully explain it. So I looked forward to the way Inspiration would be explained. 

They begin with inspiration being the force that drives creators to create. What I enjoyed about this section was how they were sure to mention several aspects relating to inspiration. Muses of Greek myths are recalled, and shown as being the inspirations for the Greek's art. I found this interesting since they were the definition of inspiration in such times, and an interesting personification of it. They continue on with ways of finding our muse. I noticed many of these are things I wish I had the time to do, they're wonderful suggestions. Play somewhere, be still and just listen, clear your brain of all the excessive thoughts, just sit on a couch and think. For me, this is the first time in a while I do not procrastinate, I would probably think of my self as doing just that if I just sat, but I wish I could do it. I think most of us have so much to do that we don't have time for many of these, and thus why we lack inspiration. I know I do. Never the less, I enjoy they suggestions and look forward to trying them out, I have plenty of sources just little time. 

The perspective in the inspiration chapter is Yeohlee Teng, a fashion designer from Malaysia. I'm thinking we will have some designer for each chapter now and I'm excited to learn who they are. Teng explains how her inspiration comes to her through information. Since we receive information, I would say at all times I would say she's set for life on that subject. She mentions architectural work as a source of her inspirations and the desire to solve problems of diminishing resources. Pictures of her fashion work look simple but elegant and economical. She mentions how sometimes she throws out ideas because a new better one comes along, I think this is a perfect example of some points the chapter makes.

The exercise section is extensive and has 13 steps into sources that might be of inspiration to you. I really like the variety of these and how well they're presented, they make you ask questions that really help you get to know your self better. What makes you feel alive and awake?  The smell of nature, of cool air, fresh flowers, warm sunlight, dirt, the energy I pick up as an empath from energetic people.  Number 8 I knew but never put thought into. Communicating feelings is a reason I sometimes create, its inspiration. Number 11, define normal. I have never been called normal by friends, this was just amusing. Number 12 I was a bit let down. This deals with pain as inspiration, while having a child I'm sure is inspirational, I think the emotional pain we have all been through at points in our lives is also a great source of inspiration. 

I enjoyed this section far more than the previous ones, and like that while it does tell you to just explore all these sources, not to forget to not dive in so much into it or we'll end up plagiarizing.

3 comments:

  1. I love that you put a picture of your cat and talked about how he has inspired you. I can relate to this in many ways because my dog and ca have inspired me in many ways as well. Just recently I became really interested in the life my 15 year old cat was living and made a short film about him for my family. It's kinda crazy to think that a cat inspired a film!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emotional pain is my greatest inspiration in life. Boy, do I have one interesting life (just like everyone else might say about their own life) but the pain I have gone through and strength that I have had to pull out of myself, it has inspired me to be a better me and make choices that benefit me. Hope i'm making sense lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are Siouxsie! I think the book sorta forgot that a bit, or just didn't go into it enough, just like you said, I think it influences a lot everyday.

    ReplyDelete