Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Chinese Fire Drill!!



Today's class seemed longer to me than most for some odd reason. We started off by once again pushing all the tables to the back and gathering around the first projects that went up from our homework. The assignment was to an image, any image, from anywhere and come up with a good phrase or word that would alter the meaning of the word. His example was the apple logo with "Think Differently" on it. An ad that was common for Apple Computers. It is far more difficult than it sounds since Jimmy has high expectations and I'm not as clever as I'd hope to be. *rimshot* See?

In face He didn't seem to like many. Some students came up with some on the spot. It had a lot to do with the image you chose. The busier it was the harder it was to come up with clever phrases, though of course it wasn't impossible to come up with good ones based on busy photos. Some didn't get to present but still received credit. Good and Bad for those including my self. Sure my picture that was peeling at a corner won't be seen, but I don't know how badly or well I did. Our homework for today is to do the reverse. Ten photos one phrase. I don't know if I should be worried, I felt this one was difficult in the thought process, so we'll see how much more harder this one is or if I'm lucky, how fun.

One of the more interesting aspects of today's class was  the discussion after those projects. Jimmy brought in several photos he believed were really good examples. We sat in a semicircle and looked at the Band Aid ad with what we all think to be the Hulk's hand, see it above, and started discussing it. After what seemed quite a long time to not be having a good discussion Jimmy stepped in. People had been disagreeing in certain ideas and weren't making a discussion of it. Jimmy is upset many of us do not take the ideas and create dialogue out of it. We sit back and expect others to do it. On my behalf although I am timid, most of the time, my ideas are often mentioned and said before I get to say them, and yes that is my fault, because I should speak up. But I am a shy person, and it will take a lot more for me to speak up, perhaps a subject I'm more in the know of. I will continue to try to speak up more during discussions, I want to be told I can't participate anymore too, sounds fun.

PS. I learned what a chines fire drill is. It's hilariously dangerous and can be pointless.

4 comments:

  1. Missy, I am shy too and hate talking. I feel like I might say something wrong or something not up to Jimmy's standards. But just like you, i will try to speak up too (maybe).

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Chinese fire drills are hella fun hahaha.
    2. Yeah being shy sucks, but being shy and jimmy picking at ya, not good either.

    But it helps push me further. Maybe that's what you need?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Siouxsie, yeah I know what you mean, I feel like whatever I might say will sound really dumb, compared to the really smart stuff Noah or Rudy or Mark say, among various others.
    Gilbert,they do sound found, I just wanted to pass off as responsible, not that I'm not, just ..well you know lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I always am shy in class. I've been trying to speak up more when I can though, even though I feel like it won't be good enough. On a more cheerful note, chinese fire drills do seem like they would be pretty fun to try.

    ReplyDelete