Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Edge of the Universe to the Power of Ten

Post Man, the Game of Racing Letter Men!..or Women

That title is completely inaccurate, disregard it please, I couldn't come up with a good one today.
In today's class we all brought in one of the games fully developed and in a presentation board to be discussed or presented, which ever is more fitting.

I don't know about everyone else, but I had no idea that a large, if not most or all of the presentation, was on the actual physical board. It's probably my fault for missing class, but I will accept the consequences. After every one's project was on the board Jimmy asked us to pick one that was the most presentable, the one that looked cleanest and professional. I kicked my own right off the list. I had focused most of my time on making my game not have so many flaws that my presentation was thoughtless. My papers were just a bit uneven, noticeable basically, I like many of the others did not remove the sticker behind my board. And in all honesty I didn't because it was a class presentation. I completely understand Jimmy's point in professionalism, but, and maybe I'm the only one, you don't think about these things because your job isn't dependant on it. Of course this brings up the point that Jimmy made on how he would suggest us were we showing that we were reliant and professional. I would say the same thing. If the project were presented to potential clients, yes I would have gone through the extra effort to remove said sticker...but I needed it for my name show up well on the back. Just kidding.

I guess I'm trying to find an excuse, I can get it perfectly done if I need to. I looked at the situation and I felt I didn't need to. I learned my lesson. But I can't say I wont do it again. If I have use the back of the board after ruining the front I will, I need all the money I can save, and I wont spend it if is for a point. So Jimmy don't get upset! Smile more, and trust us to do the right thing when the time comes to present it to clients..unless you want to hire us =] I think we were all just so rushed we didn't stop to think about all aspects of it. I will try, I will.
The second half of the project was how we presented our ideas. A couple of students, including my self, went up to pitch the idea of the game. I learned from what others were told but that didn't stop me from doing my usual mannerisms. I was told it was good that I stood behind my work. I did this because previous students had to stand to the side and blocked it for a while, so I wanted mine visible. But that was the only good thing. I had planned everything I wanted to say, it was simple to the point and clear.
Then I got up there. I stuttered, I forgot my lines and ruined it. I have a tendency to speak super fast when I'm nervous. Man do I need to work on that. After wards I didn't know what to do with my self, knowing that you're being judged on body language, how do you not do the opposite of what you normally do?
                                               Post Man Rulesss

I feel uneasy about body language, it feels like you're judging someone by looks, and you are, but how much does the way we sit and hold our hands really reflect how we feel. I cross my arms, yes, but I am not a closed minded person, nor am I protecting my self, this is the most comfortable I can be standing up!
In the end it was a good class. We got to know a little more in terms of our grade. We have to be more professional! And we learned about body language, we got some good laughs out of that as well. Evey one's different take on the games and their layout were incredibly interesting. Mine could not help but look like the simplest, pardon my french, crap up there. But anythings good I guess.
See you guys in class next Monday, have a good weekend, we all need it.

7 comments:

  1. I really hope Jim reads this and replies back to you. lol He needs to understand some students' situation about those damn boards. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margarita! :) I love reading your posts. Why does it sound like I wrote it. Haha, Its the Virgo thing. I agree, I think the sticker thing is useful to know now for the future, but why tell us after we have already turned in several projects of the same board? Funny... Way to go on the presentation, good job missy. Interesting how you drew yours out and colored it too. I looked at yours and it reminded me of mines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol Siouxsie, I think he gets it, and just wants us to show that. Personally though,for me there's just soooo much going on between work school and family and everything in between that I can't stop to peel the sticker off, and I simply forget to. I think that with any luck, if I get a good job in this market, then I will not have this current job and I will have more than enough time to make sure all is well.
    Virgos!! Woo! ha ha thank you, I did spend all after noon on it but I guess it wasn't worth it..or at least I hope so. =] Thanks for your kind words guys and sorry but the ridiculously long responses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My game was titled Payment Pending. The idea was that it was up to 4 players and each player was given $5000 at the start of the game. Then you had to decide whether to finance a house or rent an apartment, finance a car or lease one, and to have one child or a pet. Then you moved your marker around the board and every time you passed "Due Date" you had to pay all your bills for that round which were determined from cards that you picked up along the way. There is a lot more to the game but that was the basic starting idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol I like it! Real slice of life game

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don’t be so hard on yourself! I thought you did a wonderful job presenting – you seemed so confident and cheerful :)

    I like how you were the first person to hold up your board while presenting. The people who presented after you all followed suit. I know I did. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lorraine you're too sweet, thank you lol. I can't take credit for holding up the board since I did it because I noticed people weren't getting a good view, so if I hadn't I probably would have done the same >_< Lucky I guess. I loved how perfects yours was though, that was an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete