Monday, May 16, 2011

Sunshine Through the Rain and The Weeping Demon.

"こんな夢を見た"
Konna Yume o Mita
"I saw a dream like this"
I saw a dream like this. Today's film was Dreams by Akira Kurasawa,  a film made up of eight different small stories, said to be based off Kurasawa's dream through out his lifetime, I also picked up on some Japanese folklore in it. I admit I'm ashamed that I couldn't read that, Konna Yume o Mita, I took  three quarters of Japanese, this was an easy one, but I couldn't figure it out? Shame on me! That phrase was at the beginning of each dream story.

When we first started class, Jimmy gave us an option of two films, I and about three other people wanted to see an actual documentary on dreams. So did Jimmy by the way. I was disappointed everyone wanted to see this film, but that's just me since I had seen the film on the primarily Asian media site Crunchy Roll out of interest. So when Jimmy showed this as an option, while I had found it beautiful, I really wanted to see that documentary, maybe we could have learned some interesting techniques! I love lucid dreaming. 

Dreams are something amazing to me. They can be absolutely ridiculous, nonsensical and down right stupid. But they're something we create! We dream every night and don't remember most of it. I find it amusing when dreams aren't silly and could be something that actually happened. I find those weird, when they follow a story line that could make sense.

I wondered, What dreams did he have?
One of the most amazing aspects to me about dreams are the emotions that come in them. It amazes me that I have had certain dreams which make me feel emotions very strongly. As an empath, they are very very important to me. I have had dreams where my great grandmother grabbed my arm and told me something, I didn't hear her, but I felt her grip. She had passed away a couple of year before I had it. My cat, who passed away almost a year go and that I don't go a day without missing, constantly appears in my dreams. They're simply fascinating. That and I'm a total daydreamer.

My Profile Pic
 I'm curious as to who else has had a lucid dream? Lucid dreams are, for those who don't know, dreams where you realize you are dreaming and you can control what happens. With enough practice, you can lucid dream, control the dream, and thus have the ability to do anything you want. I have only come as close as to knowing I'm dreaming, but I have yet to get control over it. I have made it a personal goal to pay more attention to my dreams, and base art work on them. I particularly hate that I don't write down my dreams, I did for sometime but fell out of it, and I thought it was a great thing. When you look back on them its amazing what you dreamed up. I think it's something very unique, after all dreams are extremely personal. Perhaps this is why his film was so successful, because he took something from his dreams and showed us all.


10 comments:

  1. Not sure if it is a lucid dream, but I have had dreams were I was in a situations in my life that usually deal with everyday and the outcome was something I wanted it to result in. For instance, an ex boyfriend won't talk to me because he feels as if we never had closure. And it's true, we didn't because he ended it in a harsh way. But when I had a dream about my ex and I meeting again, we had a conversation about our relationship and came to the agreement that it was dumb and we could be friends again. It hasn't happened in real life, but it felt so real in my dream since I was the one that said we should just be happy where we are at now. But dreams are not real and I see it as a way of your mind being creative and weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have dreams that are vivid too, only in my case I usually am dreaming or hiding money. I never knew why I was hiding money lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Siouxsie, I'm not sure what defines one dream as lucid, my understanding is that you can control the outcome, as in you know you are dreaming, and then you decide what happens next. Your dream was definitely something you wanted, but were you aware it was a dream?

    Gilbert, Lol that's interesting, and funny, it has a lot to do with what you think money means to you. I guess you gotta think about why you're hiding money, and if money in that dream is representing money or something else. How interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had strange dreams where I realize I'm dreaming and can sort of control what I'm doing. But then I realize I'm dreaming and freak out. All I want to do is wake up but my body is frozen. I try to scream out and yet my voice never comes. Finally when I actually do wake up, I'm in a small sweat and I am gasping for air like I can't breathe. This has only happened to me about 4 times but I remember these dreams so clearly. I'll try to explain one of my dreams. When my sister and I shared a room. I realized I was dreaming yet couldn't wake up. I started to freak out and I tried to call out to my sister and even yelled "wake me up!" but she couldn't hear me. I could hear her talking on the phone with her boyfriend (at that time) while I was dreaming. I continued to scream and finally a weird muffled noise came out of my mouth. I finally woke up and and started gasping. I think I even started crying. My sister told her boyfriend that she had to call him back because there was something wrong with me. So she consoled me and asked if I was okay. After I caught my breath I said, "I was calling your name and asked you to wake me up. You didn't hear me?" and She said "no." And that was that. Freaky huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie, I have had only one similar experience, its called sleep paralysis, you should read into it, it might be that! It is when you wake up but your body is still asleep, and you can't move or speak, its a really terrifying experience, I managed to snap out of mine in time before it got worse, I did not enjoy it one bit. I get so frustrated because I often realize I'm dreaming but that's as far as it goes! >=[ I can only imagine the great things you can see and do with that control.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! I had no idea there was a term for it! I looked into it and it does sound like the experience I had. You're right how it's a scary experience. Luckily it only happened a few times and it's been years since it's happened so hopefully I'll never have one of those experiences again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure if these would be examples of lucid dreams or sleep paralysis, but I've had nightmares where I was able to force myself to wake up. I would realize that I was having a bad dream, and I'd try to wake up from it by pinching myself or just forcing my eyes open. It always freaks me out when that happens. I just had two of those experiences last week :(

    Sorry I had a typo in my previous post xD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lorraine! Good to hear from you :D
    I would say they are, just not in control, like most of my dreams, its good though. I think if we all try hard enough we can get through and have great dreams. there's lots of tips online for getting control of it. I have had tons of dreams where my teeth fall out to the point that whenever I have them I start to think I'm dreaming and sure enough, I wake up. I'll keep at it till I can do it! =]
    Lol don't worry about mistakes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to have dreams like that too! Where my teeth would fall out. Or at least I would always grind my teeth in my dreams until they started shattering/breaking. Very strange. I looked it up in a dream book once to see what it meant but I don't remember anymore what it said. That used to be a major reoccurring dream of mine too, loosing my teeth. I think that I also do grind my teeth when I sleep. Maybe that's the reason why I dream about it?? haha who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well from what I've read, it has to do with our image of our selves a lot. Teeth being something that is very visible and commmon for vanity.
    That's another thing about dreams. In the end it depends and varies from person to person. I guess we have to figure out what teeth mean to our individually and why we feel so terrified when we loose them.

    ReplyDelete