Monday, May 9, 2011

"The Dream I weaved last night, Entangle it onto that little finger

Title derived from the lyric: 夕べ紡夢をどうぞ その小指に絡めなさい
from


 I do believe I'm running out of good titles. The title is my over excitement at Jimmy's mention of the next class having a film about dreams..is it inception?? Because if it is then I got excited for nothing. And by that I mean that I thought we'd learn how to decipher our dreams and find the meaning of the universe and life...so by comparison Inception isn't that significant is it? OK enough bad jokes. I'm a dreamer, dreams and their interpretations always interest me, the fact that our mind comes up with such irrational images and wonderful ways of presenting our selves with our problems and possible solutions. Of course that depends on what you believe dreams to be. Either way I find them incredibly fascinating and complex.  

How does this tie in with that link up there? Well the title is a translation of the song in the link, one of my most favorite pieces, it is from the Anime Series Hell Girl, and to those who saw my doll in the exhibition, that's who she is. Our ceramics teacher Stacey, who's awesome by the way, asked us to pick a song or poem and make something that we see or feel about it. As seen in the clip, which is the short version of the song, its all about her, so that's what I saw and that's what I did. The lyrics are somewhat nonsensical but are haunting if you know the story. Too bad the clip is not of very good quality. 

But enough of things off topic, I just felt I had to express how interesting I find dreams. Today was a very informative day in class. Jimmy warned us that it would be him talking most of the class time. Oh Jimmy you know we rarely talk. I still don't know what keeps me speaking up. Perhaps my ideas are just not good enough to those I hear around me, so I feel no need to express them. Yeah that's probably it. Besides, I like hearing Jimmy's ideas and thoughts they've got experience all over them. Its like having a TED talk every time, and I get most of his jokes! I think it was one of the most informative, as much as Jimmy hates speaking for the whole class, because we learned so much about the actual paying and work aspect of being designers. 

The creative briefs that were our homework got us one step closer gaining experience. Jimmy showed us actual creative briefs from a wide variety of works, from a website project to Pasadena logos. Mine were no where near as good as they should have been that's for sure. I appreciate that Jimmy went through the trouble it was useful to see how close we were to the actual briefs. When he asked us if we had any questions relating to the design field in general we had a couple of people ask about how pay works and couple other questions. I found these to be of great use as well. I had always wondered how one should decide to and how much to charge for our services. I never stopped to think, as Jimmy explained that we should consider the time limit, project and the client's budget to see if we should take the job. So that was very informative, Towards the end of the class we always got away with no homework, but since we couldn't figure out the entire creative brief for the final project in time, it was then our homework. Bummer.  I do look forward to next class though. 


3 comments:

  1. I would so love for someone to interpret my dreams because I have some strange dreams at times. I love to dream too, its all I ever really do, so i'm interested in seeing what the film is going to be about. As for not expressing your ideas, I feel the same way. For me it's like the idea sounds much better in my head sort of thing lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i bought my sister a dream book where she can write down all her dreams and keep a journal of them. Its pretty amazing if you actually look back at all the dreams you have to see how strange they are and try to interpret what they mean. Margarita, I am a dreamer also ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are just awesome. Oh yeah that's how it is for me, it sounds good when I think of it, I wait a little and someone says it sooo much better, or totally debunks what I would have said. Yikes.
    Guady! You know I tried that, but after a while, I had to get up early and leave right away, like for work, and I can't write and I forget them. Just today I had a really interesting one, but by the time I got to class I forgot what I had said to the person in the dream. I'll definitely try to do it again. My head is constantly in the clouds.

    ReplyDelete